A. Introduction

Introduction

Throughout the course English 21007, Writing for Engineers, there were many aspects to consider when writing technical documents. Prior to this course, some writing assignments I have had experience writing were lab reports. While there were many characteristics in the lab report that should be present, it was unknown as to why it followed these conventions. Other than lab reports, most of the writing that I had been exposed to were fictional writing pieces about literature. Throughout this course we learned about specific documents and their writing styles, since it is something that we will have to write as future engineers.

The three major writing assignments written in this course were the Technical Description, the Lab Report, and the Proposal. An important concept we had to include in these documents is the rhetorical situation. This consisted of the purpose, audience, stance, genre, media and exigence. For my technical description I wrote about the medical sonogram. This piece of technology is often overlooked but is unique with a rich history. For the lab report, my group decided to write about artificial skin. We considered medical problems that interests us, and that people are fairly familiar with and could easily be explained. Lastly, for the proposal we choose to write about how to aid individuals with dialysis who are affiliated by natural disasters. By proposing to receive funding for the Wearable Artificial Kidney, we wish to address this problem.

Writing for Engineers introduced a different aspect of writing which I had not considered. The three technical writings we did were more more methodical and followed specific conventions. In other writing styles, I had not considered the rhetorical situation and how they could affect how my paper are portrayed. This provided insight to future endeavors as an engineer.